Holding ourselves to the highest standards of integrity
We are firmly committed to safeguarding and protecting your personal information.
Our Global Privacy Notice
At RBC, we are dedicated to protecting your privacy and safeguarding the personal information you have entrusted to us.
We strive to earn the right to be our clients’ first choice, and we hold ourselves to the highest standards to build trust. Our privacy management practices, including RBC’s Code of Conduct, are based on these values and comply with relevant laws and regulations.
The following Privacy Principles apply to all our dealings with you.
At RBC, we are dedicated to protecting the personal information entrusted to us. That commitment is fundamental to the way we do business and is reflected in our privacy policies. RBC has a Global Privacy Office led by our Chief Privacy Officer, which is responsible for overall privacy governance.
If you need to escalate a privacy complaint, you may escalate to the RBC Chief Privacy Officer:
Office of the RBC Chief Privacy Officer
PO Box 7500, Station A
Toronto, ON M5W 1P9
If you have questions regarding privacy, there are different ways for you to contact us.
General Questions: for questions regarding general privacy or security matters.
Make a Complaint: if you have problems, concerns or wish to provide us with your general feedback.
For UK and European residents and citizens, if you need to contact RBC’s Data Protection Officer, please email: DPO@rbc.com
Privacy Officers around the globe support businesses, functions and regions with expert advice and all our employees receive mandatory privacy and security training.
If you have concerns with our adherence to applicable privacy-legislation or the principles in this notice, you have the right to contact the relevant regulatory and/or data protection authority. In Canada please contact, Office of the Privacy Commission of Canada.
For other regulatory and/or data protection authorities please contact:
|Data Protection Authorities - EU|
|Belgium||Autorité de Protection des données|
|France||Commission Nationale de l'Informatique et des Libertés - CNIL|
|Ireland||Data Protection Commissioner|
|Italy||Garante per la protezione dei dati personali|
|Luxembourg||Commission Nationale pour la Protection des Données - CNPD|
|Switzerland||Eidg. Datenschutz- und Öffentlichkeitsbeauftragter|
|Data Protection Authorities - APAC|
|Australia||Australian Government – Office of the Australian Commissioner|
|Malaysia||Personal Data Protection Commissionner - PDPC|
|Hong Kong||Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data - PCPD|
|Singapore||Personal Data Protection Commission - PDPC|
We only use your personal information if we have a legal basis to do so. This includes sharing the information within and outside of RBC companies. We may use your personal information:
- with your consent;
- to fulfil a contract we have with you to provide services covered by your account agreement;
- to verify your identity and investigate your personal background, as permitted by law;
- for legitimate business purposes. Using your personal information helps us to operate and improve our business and minimize any disruption to the services that we may offer to you;
- for managing risks and operations
- to comply with legal and regulatory obligations;
- for the purpose of preventing, detecting fraud; and suppressing financial abuse;
- for client and employee safety, protection against theft and property damage in and around physical premises and;
- for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or proceedings;
Under certain circumstances, your personal information including some or all of the categories of information set out under “What information we collect” is shared and may have been shared among RBC companies or other third parties in the past 12 months.
Sharing your personal information among RBC companies can allow us to help you achieve your financial goals. It's part of building and maintaining a positive advice-based relationship with you. We may share this information to better understand your financial needs and to provide products and services we believe may interest you.
Your personal information that identifies you is only shared according to your choices. However, if you would prefer that we not share your information among our group of companies or if you do not wish to receive special offers promoting products and services, kindly let us know by following the instructions in Your Choices.
If you choose not to have your information shared, you will not be refused credit or other services for that decision.We will respect your choice and may advise other RBC companies of your preference for the sole purpose of honoring your choices.
We may share your information with other RBC companies:
- in accordance with your choice;
- for the purpose of preventing or detecting fraud or suppressing financial abuse
- for managing risks and operations
- to enable RBC companies to meet global regulatory, legal, financial or other reporting obligations;
- Externally with other businesses, including our service providers, for their own benefit, for purposes such as improving their products or services, and supporting their business development, for example by creating sales performance insights as well as development of customer demographic and behavioral insights
- Externally with other third parties, for the purposes of benchmarking, understanding and forecasting spending patterns and macroeconomic trends, as well as to conduct research and to improve data analytics capabilities, for the benefit of RBC, RBC customers, or the public good.
Your personal information will be accessed by RBC employees who have a legitimate business purpose for using it.
Unauthorized use and or disclosure of information by an employee of RBC is strictly prohibited. All employees are required to maintain the confidentiality of client information at all times and failing to do so will result in appropriate disciplinary measures, which may include dismissal.
Outside Service Suppliers
We may use service providers to perform specialized services on our behalf including data processing, research, marketing, statement printing or mail distribution. Our service providers may at times be responsible for processing personal information. They are provided only the information necessary to perform the services. In addition, we require them to protect the information in a manner that is consistent with our privacy policies, security practices and in line with the Supplier Code of Conduct.
Other Third Parties
We will only share your information with other third parties for the purposes described below:
- to provide you with products and services you request;as permitted or required by law, to comply with laws, regulations, subpoena or court order;
- to respond to valid and authorized information requests from domestic and international authorities;
- for the purpose of preventing or detecting fraud and suppressing financial abuse
- to protect the personal safety of employees, clients or other third parties on RBC property.
We do not sell personal information and have not sold personal information in the past 12 months.
Countries to Which We Transfer Your Information
Your personal information may be transmitted through, stored or processed in countries other than your home country, in which case the information is bound by the laws of these countries.
These countries may include, but not limited to:
- United States of America;
- European Union member states;
- United Kingdom;
If your personal information is transferred to a country other than your home country, we will take measures to protect your personal information with appropriate contract clauses or other applicable safeguards.
In the normal course of business, you receive periodic access to information in the form of transaction activity records, including account statements and trade confirmations. This information is routinely available to you through mailings, secure online sites and telephone banking.
If you want to access any personal information we hold about you, you may write to, or send an email request to your branch or office where you do business. To avoid delays in obtaining your information, please provide sufficient detail to permit us to identify you and the specific information that you are requesting.
Please note that there may be instances where access may be restricted as permitted or required by law. We will advise you of the reasons for restricting access subject to any legal or regulatory limitations.
For residents and citizens of the UK or Europe, you may request correction, restricted processing, portability or removal of the personal data that we process about you, as well as to object to processing of your data at any time by sending a request to DPO@rbc.com
For California residents, you have the right to request that we disclose to you the following:
- The categories, as well as the specific pieces, of personal information we have collected about you.
- The categories of sources your personal information is collected from.
- The business purpose for collecting your personal information.
- The categories of your personal information disclosed for a business purpose in the past 12 months.
- The categories of third parties we disclosed your personal information to.
You have the right to request your personal information in digital format.
You also have the right to request that we delete any personal information that we have collected from you, subject to certain exceptions allowed under applicable law.
California residents may submit a request by:
Contacting us by telephone at 1-844-937-2296 (toll free) between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Central Time
Once your request is verified, we will respond in accordance with applicable legislation.
If you have any questions about our privacy policies and how they relate to you please contact us.
Most of the information we collect is collected when you interact directly with us, for example when you:
- apply for a product or service;
- communicate and or interact with us; or
- sign up for special offers, enter a contest or complete a survey.
We also collect financial and other information about you from a variety of other sources including:
- transactions you have made with or through us;
- we will use your credit bureau information to assess your eligibility for products and services
- references you have provided to us; and
- other financial institutions.
We may also collect personal information about you from third parties in accordance with their respective terms and conditions and or privacy policies. Examples of third parties that may share personal information with us may include:
- third party verification services;
- commercially available sources such as mailing list providers; and
- publicly available sources such as telephone directories, newspapers, social media or internet sites, and government agencies, registries or public records.
We will also ask you to provide information that enables us to complete your request, to provide better service or to offer you products and services we believe may be of value to you.
The categories of personal information we collect depend on the product or service you have with us, and your use of RBC’s websites and services. Over the past 12 months and on an ongoing basis as needed, the information we may collect includes:
- Name, address, telephone numbers, title, email address, date of birth, social insurance number or social security number , account numbers, credit card numbers, debit card number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, device information (e.g. device model, browser type, IP address, security cookie and approximate physical location of device), knowledge-based information (e.g. username, password and account information, information pertaining to business clients will include your business name, address, phone number, email address, industry type, financial status and detail(s) on the owner(s), operator(s) and director(s)
- Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or purchasing and other activities.
- Information related to transactions arising from your relationship with and through us, and from other financial institutions, including point of sale details;
- Information you provide on an application for our products and services, such as your annual income, investments, account balance, financial liabilities, transaction history;
- Information about financial behaviour such as your payment history and credit worthiness;
- Fingerprint, signature, voiceprint, video surveillance
- Browsing history, search history, information regarding your interaction with an Internet Web site, application, or advertisement
- Information about the approximate physical location of your device to provide a location-dependant service such as to allow you to locate a nearby ATM or RBC branch; to validate user identity; and to prevent, suppress, or detect crime
- Occupation, education, place of employment, employment history, titles or positions with government entities, employers, or companies you own, salary or self-employment income
- Information you provide during communication with us which may include family details, life events, goals and your opinions and issues you may have encountered;
- Additional information may be requested to help us determine your eligibility for products and services that we offer.
- For the purposes of complying with the California Consumer Privacy Act
Our goal is to continuously improve our service offerings to you. Therefore, we routinely collect non-personal aggregated information from surveys, public archives and websites to help us understand the interests of our current and prospective clients and to manage our risks and operations.
We may use your personal information: for the purposes communicated to you at the time of collection or in your agreement(s) with us and in this notice,
- to verify your identity and to authenticate you when you contact us;
- to provide you with the financial products and services requested;
- to communicate to you any benefit, feature and other information about products and services you have with us;
- to better understand your financial situation and offer financial advice;
- to operate the payment card network;
- to assess and determine your eligibility for products and services, using your credit bureau and other information;
- to manage our risks and operations; and
- to meet regulatory and legal requirements
- for the purpose of preventing or detecting fraud or suppressing financial abuse
- to help us understand the interests of our current and prospective clients
- If we have your tax identification number (such as social insurance number or social security number), and you hold a product generating income, we may use it for tax related purposes and share it with the appropriate government agencies. We may also share it with credit reporting agencies as an aid to identify you.
- If you have consented to sharing your information, it may be withdrawn at any time. You may request that we do not use your SIN for credit reporting agencies. Your Choices.
- We may communicate with you through various channels including telephone, computer, mail or mobile applications using the contact information you have provided.
- We may wish to send you information on other products and services we offer and of third parties we select that may interest you. We will only send you information on products and services in accordance with the choices you have made.
If you deal with multiple RBC companies (i.e. bank, investments, insurance etc.) we may, where not prohibited by law, consolidate all information to better manage our relationship with you and our business.
We may create reports containing statistics, rules and data insights, as well as analysis and predictive models, based on information about you and other RBC customers. The reports contain aggregated and de-identified information, not personal information, and cannot be used to identify you or any other individual.
The reports may be used and shared:
- Internally at RBC, for business purposes such as market and product analysis, analyzing credit risk and product development;
- If, for any reason, your information is required to fulfill a different purpose than what was communicated when you provided your consent, we will ask for your consent before we proceed, as required.
- Note that sensitive information such as health records will never, under any circumstances, be used for a purpose other than what was communicated when you provided your consent.
Protecting your personal information is fundamental to the way we do business. We will do our utmost to ensure the information we have about you is accurate and complete and will keep your personal information for as long as required to comply with all business, legal and regulatory record keeping requirements and aligned with our internal policies and retention schedules. This commitment extends to our online services and any new technologies we employ.
As we make decisions based on the information we have, we encourage you to help us keep your information current.
Contact us at any time http://www.rbc.com/contactus/ if you wish to understand, verify the accuracy, update or correct the personal information we have about you.
Read more about:
You are always in control of your personal information and providing us with your information is always your choice. If you object to the processing of your personal information, you can choose to withdraw any consent you previously provided us, and we will respect that choice in accordance with our legal obligations.
However, your decision to withhold particular details may limit or prevent us from providing holistic financial advice based on your specific needs or providing products or services you have asked for.
If you do not wish to receive promotional materials from us, or you do not want your personal information shared with other RBC companies, you may contact your relationship manager or account representative, or simply:
Contact your nearest branch or local office
TDD/TTY Users (teletypewriter for the Hearing Impaired)
We will not discriminate against you because you elect to exercise any of the rights related to your personal information, including but not limited to:
- Denying you products or services;
- Charging you or suggesting different prices or rates for products or services, including through the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties on you;
- Providing a different level or quality of products or services to you.
We may change this Privacy Notice from time to time. Any changes will be posted on our website.Print This Page