Holding ourselves to the highest standards of integrity
We are firmly committed to safeguarding and protecting your personal information.
Our Global Privacy Notice
At RBC, we are dedicated to protecting your privacy and safeguarding the personal information you have entrusted to us.
RBC’s commitment of trust and integrity in everything we do is reflected by our dedication to protecting our clients’ privacy and safeguarding the personal information entrusted to us.
RBC’s privacy management practices including RBC’s Code of Conduct adhere to compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
The following Privacy Principles apply to all our dealings with you.
At RBC, we are dedicated to protecting the personal information entrusted to us. That commitment is fundamental to the way we do business and is reflected in our privacy policies. We ensure personal information is protected in all business processes from the outset, keeping privacy measures top of mind.
RBC has a Global Privacy Office led by our Chief Privacy Officer which is responsible for overall privacy governance. All of our employees across RBC are responsible to maintain your privacy and can provide assistance to address any privacy questions or concerns you may have.
The Global Privacy Office of the RBC Chief Privacy Officer may be consulted by your branch or office representative, Client Care Centre and or RBC Ombudsman in order to provide specific guidance as requested. In addition, RBC has appointed a Data Protection Officer to ensure General Data Protection Regulation compliance in Europe.
If you have questions regarding privacy, there are different ways for you to contact us.
General Questions: for questions regarding general privacy or security matters.
Make a Complaint: if you have problems, concerns or wish to provide us with your general feedback.
If you need to escalate as part of the procedure to make a complaint, you may escalate to the RBC Chief Privacy Officer:
Office of the RBC Chief Privacy Officer
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PO Box 7500, Station A
Toronto, ON M5W 1P9
For European residents and or citizens, if you need to contact RBC’s Data Protection Officer, please email: DPO@rbc.com
If you have concerns with our adherence to applicable privacy rules, you have the right to contact the relevant regulatory and or data protection authority. Please refer to the website of your local regulatory and or data protection authority for instructions on how to contact them.
We are allowed to use your personal information only if we have a proper legal basis to do so. This includes sharing the information outside of RBC companies. We may use your personal information on the following basis:
- to fulfil a contract we have with you to provide services covered by your account agreement;
- to comply with legal and regulatory obligations;
- for legitimate business purposes. Using your personal information helps us to operate and improve our business and minimize any disruption to the services that we may offer to you;
- where we are processing information based on your consent;
- for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or proceedings; or
- for the purpose of fraud, crime prevention, suppression or detection
Under certain circumstances, your personal information may be shared among RBC companies or other third parties.
Sharing your personal information among RBC companies, can allow us to help you achieve your financial goals. It's part of building and maintaining a positive advice-based relationship with you. We may share this information to better understand your financial needs and to provide products and services we believe may interest you.
This would only be done in line with your choices unless the information doesn’t identify you specifically. We may communicate with you through various channels, including face to face, telephone, computer, mail, or mobile applications using the contact information you have provided. However, if you would prefer that we not share your information among our group of companies or if you do not wish to receive special offers promoting products and services, kindly let us know by following the instructions in Your Choices.
If you choose not to have your information shared, you will not be refused credit or other services for that decision. We will respect your choice and may advise other RBC companies of your preference for the sole purpose of honoring your choices.
We may share your information with other RBC companies:
- in accordance with your choice;
- for the purposes of fraud or crime prevention, suppression or detection;
- to enable RBC companies to meet global regulatory, legal, financial or other reporting obligations; or
- as permitted or required by law.
Access to your information is restricted to authorized employees who have a legitimate business purpose for using it. For example, when you call us, visit a branch, or email us, designated employees will access your information to verify that you are the account-holder and to assist you in fulfilling your financial requests.
Unauthorized use and or disclosure of client information by an employee of RBC is strictly prohibited. All employees are required to maintain the confidentiality of client information at all times and failing to do so will result in appropriate disciplinary measures, which may include dismissal.
Outside Service Suppliers
We may use service providers to perform specialized services on our behalf such as cheque-printing, research, marketing, mail distribution or data processing. Our service providers may at times be responsible for processing or handling personal information. They are provided only the information necessary to perform the services. In addition, we require them to protect the information in a manner that is consistent with our privacy policies, security practices and in line with the Supplier Code of Conduct.
Other Third Parties
We will only share your information with other third parties as indicated under your account agreement and accepted terms and conditions or under the following special circumstances:
- to respond to valid and authorized information requests from domestic and international authorities;
- as permitted or required by law, to comply with laws, regulations, subpoena or court order;
- for the purposes of fraud or crime prevention, suppression or detection; or
- to protect the personal safety of employees, clients or other third parties on RBC property.
Countries to Which We Transfer Your Information
Your personal information may be transmitted through, stored or processed in countries other than your home country, in which case the information is bound by the laws of these countries.
These countries may include, but not limited to:
- United States of America;
- European Union member states;
- United Kingdom;
If your personal information is transferred to a country other than your home country, we will take measures to protect your personal information with appropriate contract clauses.
For RBC’s European businesses, these measures may include:
- EU Standard Contractual clauses; or
- certification under the EU-US Privacy Shield
- In the normal course of business, you receive periodic access to information in the form of transaction activity records, including account statements and trade confirmations. This information is routinely available to you through mailings, secure online sites and telephone banking.
- If you want to access any personal information we hold about you, you may submit a written request to your branch or office where you do business to obtain access to such information. To avoid delays in obtaining your information, please provide sufficient detail to permit us to identify you and the specific information that you are requesting.
- Please note that there may be instances where access may be restricted as permitted or required by law. We will advise you of the reasons for restricting access subject to any legal or regulatory limitations.
- You can request, where applicable in your jurisdiction, restriction, portability or removal of the personal data that we process about you at any time by sending a request to your relationship manager or account representative or alternatively, the Data Protection Officer at DPO@rbc.com
If you have any questions about our privacy policies and how they relate to you please contact us.
Most of the information is collected when you interact with us, for example when you:
- apply for a product or service;
- enter a contest;
- communicate and or interact with us; or
- sign-up for special offers or complete a survey.
We also collect financial and other information about you from a variety of sources including:
- references you have provided to us;
- transactions you have made with or through us;
- credit bureaus; and
- other financial institutions.
We may also collect personal information about you from third parties in accordance with their respective terms and conditions and or privacy policies. Examples of third parties that may share personal information with us may include:
- third party verification services;
- credit reporting agencies;
- commercially available sources such as mailing list providers; and
- publicly available sources such as telephone directories, newspapers, social media or internet sites, and from government agencies, registries or public records.
We will ask you to provide information that enables us to complete your request, to provide better service or to offer you products and services we believe you might be interested in.
- Information establishing your identity, such as your name, address, phone number, title, business phone number, email address, date of birth, social insurance number or social security number (for tax purposes), and account numbers;
- Information to authenticate your identity, such as knowledge-based information (i.e. username, password and account information), biometric information (i.e. signature, fingerprint and voiceprint), device information (i.e. device model, browser type, IP address, security cookie and approximate physical location of device);
- Information related to transactions arising from your relationship with and through us, and from other financial institutions, including point of sale details;
- Information you provide on an application for the provision of our products and services, such as your annual income, place of employment, investments, account balance, financial liabilities, transaction history;
- Information you provide during communication with us which may include family details, life events, goals and your opinions and issues you may have encountered;
- Information about financial behaviour such as your payment history and credit worthiness;
- Information about your health may be collected for insurance products and services;
- Information pertaining to business clients will include your business name, address, phone number, email address, industry type, financial status and detail(s) on the owner(s), operator(s) and director(s);
- Additional information may be requested to help us determine your eligibility for products and services that we offer.
It is our goal to continuously improve our service offerings to you. Therefore, we routinely collect non-personal aggregated information from surveys, public archives and websites to help us understand the interests of our current and prospective clients and to manage our risks and operations.
We may use your personal information for the purposes communicated to you at the time of collection or in your agreement(s) with us, including:
- to verify your identity and to authenticate you when you contact us;
- to provide you with the financial products and services requested;
- to communicate to you any benefit, feature and other information about products and services you have with us;
- to better understand your financial situation and determine your eligibility for products and services we offer;
- to manage our risks and operations;
- to meet regulatory and legal requirements;
- if we have your social insurance number or social security number, and you hold a product generating income, we may use it for tax related purposes and share it with the appropriate government agencies. We may also share it with credit reporting agencies as an aid to identify you.
- We may communicate with you through various channels including telephone, computer, mail or mobile applications using the contact information you have provided.
- We may wish to send to you information, which may be of interest to you, on other products and services that we offer and of third parties we select. We will only send you information on products and services in accordance with the choices you have made.
- If you deal with multiple RBC companies (i.e. bank, investments, insurance etc.) we may, where not prohibited by law, consolidate all information to better manage our relationship with you and our business.
- We may create statistical and anonymized reports, analysis and predictive models, rules and insights using information about you and other customers. Aggregated reports may also be shared with other businesses for business development and to provide insights into their sales performance, identify customer demographics or behavioural insights. The information in these reports is not personal and cannot be used to identify you.
- If for any reason your information is required to fulfill a different purpose then that of your original intent, we ask for your consent before we proceed.
- Note that sensitive information such as health records will never, under any circumstances, be shared or used for a purpose other than that of the original intent.
Ensuring your confidentiality by protecting your personal information is fundamental to the way we do business. We will do our utmost to ensure the information we have about you is accurate and complete and will keep your personal information for as long as required to comply with all business, legal and regulatory record keeping requirements and aligned with our internal policies and retention schedules. This commitment extends to our online services and any new technologies we employ.
As we make decisions based on the information we have, we encourage you to help us keep your information current.
Contact us at any time if you wish to verify the accuracy, update or correct the personal information we have about you.
Read more about:
You are always in control of your personal information and providing us with your information is always your choice. You can withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information (where we are processing your personal information based on your consent). If you object to the processing of your personal information, or if you have provided your consent to processing and you later choose to withdraw it, we will respect that choice in accordance with our legal obligations. However, your decision to withhold particular details may limit or prevent us from providing holistic financial advice based on your specific needs or providing products or services you have asked for.
If you do not wish to receive promotional materials from us, or you do not want your personal information shared with other RBC companies, you may contact your relationship manager or account representative, or simply:
Contact your nearest branch or local office
TDD/TTY Users (teletypewriter for the Hearing Impaired)
We may change this Privacy Notice from time to time. Any changes will be posted on our website.Print This Page