First Up with RBCxMUSIC
Royal Bank of Canada (“RBC”) is a long-standing supporter of Canadian youth, and of emerging Canadian artists and creators. Through initiatives such as RBC Future Launch and the RBC Emerging Artists Project, RBC is committed to supporting the next generation of Canadians creatives.
First Up with RBCxMusic (the “Program”) is intended to support emerging Canadian recording artists across the country through a competition (the “Competition”) sponsored by Royal Bank of Canada (“RBC”) commencing on [March 6, 2023] and ending on [March 19, 2023] (the “Competition Period”) to select up to 20 finalists (“Selected Finalists”) who will participate in social content, media exposure, and promotional opportunities as a part of the program.
Upcoming Key Dates
|ROUND||APPLICATIONS OPEN||APPLICATIONS CLOSE|
|1||March 6, 2023 at 9AM EST||March 19, 2023 at 11:59PM EST|
To be eligible to participate in the Competition, each participant recording artist (“Recording Artist”) must:
- Be a legal resident of Canada (in the case of a band/ensemble, 50% of the members must be residents of Canada)
- Be of the legal age of majority in their province/territory of residence at the time of submitting their application
- Have an active, public Instagram and TikTok account
- Be in the early stages of their career in their art form, usually within the first few years and therefore self-identify as emerging
- Be involved in their creative community
- Have limited publication history
- Demonstrate a commitment to devoting more time to their artistic activity, specifically devoting a significant amount of their time per week to their art
- Be making a financial commitment to their practice and seek their primary income from their artistic work
- Eligibility of any Recording Artist will ultimately be determined at the sole discretion of RBC.
How to Submit an Application:
To enter the Competition, go to rbc.com/rbcxmusicfirstup (the “Website”) and follow the on-screen instructions to obtain the official Competition application form (the “Application Form”). Fully complete the Application Form with all required information, including but not limited to: (i) enter your name, valid email address and city of residence; (ii) a short bio of 250 words or less; and (iii) signify your agreement that you have read and agree to be legally bound by these Program Terms and Conditions (the “Program Terms”). Follow the on-screen instructions to complete your application. To be eligible, your Application Form must be submitted and received within the Competition Period. All eligible Application Forms submitted and received during the Competition Period will be considered for the First Up Opportunity. The Primary Recording Artist (as hereinafter defined) must keep a digital or hard copy of their Application Form. If required, Primary Recording Artist must supply the original recording of their Application for use in connection with the Competition, including (but not limited to) for potential broadcast online or transmission by any digital means.
If it is discovered by RBC (using any evidence or other information made available to or otherwise discovered by RBC) that any Recording Artist has attempted to: (i) submit more than one (1) Application during the Competition Period; and/or (ii) use (or attempt to use) multiple names, identities email addresses and/or any automated, macro, script, robotic or other system(s) or program(s) to participate in or disrupt this Competition; then he/she may be disqualified from the Competition in the sole and absolute discretion of RBC. Your Application Form may be rejected if (in the sole and absolute discretion of RBC) the Application Form is not fully completed with all required information and submitted and received during the Competition Period. The Released Parties (defined below) are not responsible for late, lost, misdirected, delayed, incomplete or incompatible Submissions (all of which are void).
All Application Forms are subject to verification at any time and for any reason. RBC reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to require proof of identity and/or eligibility (in a form acceptable to RBC – including, without limitation, government issued photo identification): (i) for the purposes of verifying an individual’s eligibility to participate in this Competition; (ii) for the purposes of verifying the eligibility and/or legitimacy of an Application Form submitted (or purportedly submitted) for the purposes of this Competition; and/or (iii) for any other reason RBC deems necessary, in its sole and absolute discretion, for the purposes of administering this Competition in accordance with these Program Terms. Failure to provide such proof to the satisfaction of RBC in a timely manner may result in disqualification in the sole and absolute discretion of RBC.
Multiple Recording Artists for an Application – Requirements:
- If there are multiple Recording Artists who form part of an ensemble, the primary applicant shall also be the primary Recording Artist for that ensemble (“Primary Recording Artist”).
- Each of the Recording Artists in an ensemble will be required to complete an Entry Form.
- By submitting an Application, the Primary Recording Artist warrants that all Recording Artists that form part of their ensemble have acknowledged and agreed to these Program Terms on the Application Form.
- Primary Recording Artist and their ensemble, if applicable, can only submit one (1) Application Form during the Competition Period.
1. The Selected Finalists will be selected by a panel of judges to be convened by RBC (the “Panel”).
2. The Panel will review and assess all submitted Application Forms, and will make their recommendations based on the following criteria:
i. Commitment to music as a primary income – 30%*
ii. Level of activity on Instagram – 10%
iii. Level of professionalism – 20%
iv. Execution quality – 30%
v. Geographic location – 10%
* Note: Commitment to music as primary income will be evaluated based on artists’ music released to date as well as plans for upcoming music and releases. This will be determined based on information readily available on the artists social accounts and provided in the application form as well as conversation with our agency partners trevor//peter
3. All Panel deliberations are confidential.
4. Following the review and selection process, on or about March 20 – April 7, 2023 a 3rd party representative of RBC will contact the shortlisted finalists to book a scheduled performance date and time. If a shortlisted finalist decides to decline the First Up Opportunity, RBC will then approach the next shortlisted finalist in order of ranking.
5. All shortlisted finalists, once they have completed all of the requirements set forth in these Program Terms including signing the Artist Agreement (see Section 6 below), will become the Selected Finalists and will be announced publicly via RBCxMusic owned social channels. Following this, Selected Finalists can release their performance on their Instagram Channel in accordance with the Program Terms and their Artist Agreement.
If a Recording Artist(s) (including their ensemble, if applicable) becomes a Selected Finalist, they will be required to enter into an Artist Agreement with RBC and RBC’s agent that will set out the details of their participation in the Program, including compensation.
Use of Personal Information
RBC and its affiliates and agents, and each of their respective officers, directors, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”) will not be liable for: (i) any failure of the website used for accepting applications during the Competition; (ii) any technical malfunction or other problems relating to the telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment or software; (iii) the failure of any Application Form to be received, captured or recorded for any reason, including, but not limited to, technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website; (iv) any injury or damage to a Recording Artist’s or any other person’s computer or other device related to or resulting from participating in the Competition; and/or (v) any combination of the above.
The decisions of RBC with respect to all aspects of this Competition are final and binding on all Recording Artists without right of appeal, including, without limitation, any decisions regarding the eligibility/disqualification of Application Forms and/or Recording Artists. By participating in this Competition, you are agreeing to be legally bound by the terms and conditions of these Program Terms. ANYONE DETERMINED TO BE IN VIOLATION OF THESE PROGRAM TERMS FOR ANY REASON IS SUBJECT TO DISQUALIFICATION IN THE SOLE AND ABSOLUTE DISCRETION OF RBC AT ANY TIME.
RBC reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, and without prior notice, to adjust any of these Program Terms including dates and/or timeframes stipulated in these Program Terms, to the extent necessary, for purposes of verifying compliance by any Recording Artist or Application Form with these Program Terms, or as a result of any technical or other problems, or in light of any other circumstances which, in the opinion of RBC, in its sole and absolute discretion, affect the proper administration of the Competition as contemplated in these Program Terms, or for any other reason.
Fees and Expenses
There are no fees to submit an Application Form. Any costs incurred in completing the Application Form shall be solely at the expense of the Recording Artists.
For comments and questions related to these Terms and Conditions or the content of your Application Form, please contact RBCxMusic (firstname.lastname@example.org).