Skip Breadcrumb Links
Privacy & Security International > Alerts > During the holiday season
During the holiday season, don't let your brand new
phone or tablet end up as a gift... for someone else!
Parties, food and holiday planning ... all part of the season's celebrations! But as our social activities gear up, so do the activities of those who want to turn our property into theirs!
Thefts and online scams increase during the holiday season. Since today’s mobile devices are particularly tempting targets for thieves, here are some important tips to help minimize the risks to your mobile devices and the information accessible from them.
- NEVER leave a mobile device unattended in a public place. Thieves look for any unguarded moment, to relieve you of your belongings.
- Be careful when exiting a taxi: ensure you have not left any of your mobile devices behind
- Avoid leaving devices locked in cars in shopping mall parking lots, especially at this time of the year.
- Keep your mobile devices with you. If it is necessary to leave a mobile device, or even a briefcase, unattended in your car for a short period of time, lock these in the trunk, so they won't be visible to passersby.
- Transfer mobile devices to your trunk when you get into your car, not at your destination, in case someone is watching.
- Remember to use the passphrase or password lock feature on all your mobile devices to protect your information…and your friends' information too! Don’t forget that work information should NOT be stored on your personal devices.
To help stay safe online during the holiday season, be careful what you access (see “Cyber Criminals”). Use a little caution in your online activity and when in doubt, take the time to verify email requests that you receive, before you act on them.
Have a safe and happy holiday season!