It’s always important to be vigilant about ensuring your cards’ security, whether you are shopping online or in-store. RBC has put together some helpful tips to keep in mind:
When shopping online, more and more online merchants are adding the extra protection of Verified by Visa (VbV) to their shopping websites. VbV is intended to make your online shopping using a Visa card more secure. For participating retailers, check the VISA website.
If you prefer the hustle and bustle of the in-store shopping experience, protect yourself as follows:
- At an ATM or store, shield the keypad with your free hand while entering your Personal Identification Number (PIN).
- Always try to keep your card in view and, if possible, swipe your own card when you are making a purchase. Otherwise, watch to make sure that it is only swiped once through a single device.
- Always check to make sure you receive your card after every transaction.
- Immediately report unusual or suspicious merchant behavior to your financial institution or the police.
No matter how you shop, whether online or in-person, always:
- Avoid selecting a PIN that can easily be guessed, such as your birthday, or telephone number and never share your PIN (even with family or friends) or write it down.
- Report a lost or stolen debit or credit card to your bank or credit-card company immediately.
- Destroy unwanted or expired cards and cancel them by contacting the card-issuer to make sure they aren’t re-issued or copied.
RBC provides a great resource of information, tips and advice about protecting yourself against potential fraud at www.rbc.com/privacysecurity