Banking for Newcomers to Canada
Choose the Bank Account That’s Right for You
Opening a Canadian bank account as soon as you arrive is very important, as it provides:
- A safe place to deposit your money
- 24/7 access to your money, whenever you need it
Bank with us, and we'll help you choose the accounts that are right for you. We have a variety of chequing and savings accounts available that can help you get started, including our popular RBC Signature No Limit Banking® account, our all-inclusive RBC VIP Banking® account and our U.S. Personal Banking Account®.
Our Most Popular Banking Account
One of our most popular accounts for newcomers to Canada is the RBC Signature No Limit Banking account. With it you’ll get:
- Unlimited debit transactions8
- 3 withdrawals from other bank ATMs in Canada refunded per month15,16
- Unlimited free Interac e-Transfer transactions
- Free personalized cheques
We also offer a wide selection of financial services that go beyond daily banking transactions, such as foreign exchange with preferred rates for newcomers, safe and easy international money transfers, high interest savings accounts and safe deposit boxes to securely store your valuables.
International Foreign Exchange
Do you need to convert your currency?
Try our Foreign Exchange Currency Converter for today’s public exchange rates.
Send Money Overseas
RBC International Money Transfer allows you to send money internationally anytime, with total peace of mind to your family and friends overseas12.
Open an RBC High Interest eSavings® account
It’s a great way to save and budget, and separate your monthly living expenses. Plus you’ll enjoy these features and benefits:
Securely Store Your Valuables in a Safe Deposit Box [Lock Box]
Looking for a place to keep your valuable documents and small items? Learn more about our safe deposit boxes securely stored at your local RBC branch. Benefits include:
- Small safe deposit box (lock box) with fees waived for up to two years11
- Safe and secure storage for your valuable small items and documents
Bank Anywhere, Anytime with Mobile Banking
- Check account balances in real-time
- Pay bills on-the-go
- Transfer money between accounts
- Send money to others by email or text with Interac e-Transfer ‡
- Deposit a cheque using your phone
- Make convenient and secure in-store payments with a simple tap of your phone on the RBC Wallet (available on iPhone ‡ and Android ‡ devices)