Corporate Responsibility Reporting
Read about our performance and priorities for the past year.
Since 1999, RBC's annual Corporate Responsibility Report has continued to grow in length, topping 118 pages in 2012. From talking to our stakeholders, we know that our report provides too much information for most people, but not nearly enough for specialists and analysts. Some readers want facts. Others want stories. Sustainability raters and rankers want us to disclose goals and targets. Some people want information in print, others want their information provided online. Others are lobbying for real-time and wiki-reporting through social media.
That's a lot of different expectations for one publication.
In 2013, we took a look at our suite of CR reporting tools with fresh eyes, and conducted two rigorous evaluation processes to test the efficacy of our reporting suite. As a result, starting in 2014, our corporate responsibility/sustainability reporting will include:
- Our Global Corporate Responsibility Review , a consumer–friendly brochure containing 34 key performance indicators about our annual social, economic and environmental impact.
- A Public Accountability Statement . This is a regulatory requirement for financial services companies in Canada.
- A set of Corporate Responsibility Backgrounders, providing a deep level of detail on the standing policies, procedures and programs within categories upon which we have been reporting since 2005 (integrity/business ethics, economic and environmental impact, and practices in the marketplace, workplace and community .) We will make these available in April/May, 2014 and update them every two years.
- CR Issue Briefs, providing shorter, more targeted context and performance on a handful of key issues relevant to our business, to be made available in mid-2014.
- Links to reports and publications produced by various departments and businesses within RBC, such as our annual Diversity Progress Report, our Aboriginal Partnership Report, the RBC Environmental Blueprint Report Card and our Carbon Disclosure Statement.
- Our Quarterly Reports to Shareholders, Annual Report, Annual Information Form and Management Proxy Circular will continue to provide disclosure about our operations and financial condition, and information related to corporate governance, executive compensation and risk management to investors, analysts and regulators.
- A "Build your own CR Report" portal on rbc.com so that stakeholders can select from any or all of the above disclosure, available in mid–2014.
As a result, the contents of this page will evolve over the coming months as we develop the suite of CR Reporting materials.