To celebrate Earth Day 2011, RBC employees, clients and vendors participated in a number of activities across the organization to promote environmental awareness and highlight environmental programs and initiatives, including:
- An Earth Day Fair in Toronto, Ontario. Several internal business units and twelve external vendors filled an auditorium with an array of innovative and interactive displays that showcased RBC environmental programs, supplier partnerships and green initiatives.
- RBC’s Meadowvale Office Green Committee in Mississauga, Ontario teamed up with their building landlord, Bentall-Kennedy, to celebrate Earth Day with an event that showcased educational booths, wildlife artwork, green products, staff contests and the unveiling of the new coffee cup recycling unit.
- RBC Bank employees in Raleigh, North Carolina were challenged to participate in "A Billion Acts of Green," to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and were provided with tips on being more environmentally responsible at work.
- A series of articles with tips to help reduce employee environmental footprint in the workplace were provided to RBC’s Minneapolis, Minnesota employees. In addition, over 100 employees attended a session about the benefits of organic foods.
- RBTT staff in Trinidad and Tobago learned about waste management and were challenged to think about the environmental impacts of product packaging in their purchasing decisions, as plastic packaging is a major component of the waste being dumped into landfills in the region.
RBC has long been committed to environmental sustainability. The RBC Environmental Blueprint details the bank's policy, priorities and objectives which include reducing its environmental footprint, lending responsibly, offering green products and services, and promoting environmental sustainability within and outside the company. RBC has been recognized as a leader by socially responsible investors and external rating agencies, including the Jantzi Social Index, the FTSE4Good Index and the Canadian Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index.