About RBC > Community & Sustainability > News >RBC celebrates Children's Mental Health Week 2013
RBC celebrates Children's Mental Health Week 2013
May 6 2013 - Across Canada, RBC is commemorating Children’s Mental Health Week by helping raise awareness about and funding solutions to some of the important issues facing children and families as part of the RBC Children’s Mental Health Project, launched in 2008. Here’s a quick roundup:
- May 6. We are launching Know the Signs, a national campaign to raise awareness about the top 5 early warning signs of mental illness that parents should watch for in their children. In addition to Rona Maynard, a mental health advocate and advisor to RBC, we are working with Kelly Hrudey, former NHL player and CBC hockey commentator and his daughter Kaitlin who have chosen to share their story for the first time through our campaign. Ms. Maynard, author of Silent Families, Suffering Children and Youth, a white paper on the findings of the 2012 RBC Children’s Mental Health Project Parents poll and former editor of Chatelaine magazine, will be conducting interviews this week as well and connecting with bloggers to share our story.
- May 6 – 10. The RBC Children’s Mental Health Project has sponsored a week of special reports on Global News. Each night, Global’s news team will feature a different story about how families can help manage a children’s mental health issue.
- May 6. RBC will announce its sponsorship of the RBC Run for the Kids, raising funds for a new CMH family ‘navigation’ project at Toronto’s Sunnybrook Hospital.
- May 7: In British Columbia, RBC is supporting the annual conference of the FORCE Society for Kids' Mental Health. This conference brings together an interdisciplinary group of professionals with young people, parents and other stakeholders to share knowledge and experiences.
- May 6 – 17: Branches all across Newfoundland will be collecting donations for the Children’s Mental Health Association (Newfoundland branch) for a new program called Kids have Stress Too. RBC will match donations up to $5,000.
- Now to end of May. We have sponsored a month-long public awareness campaign through Children’s Mental Health Ontario.
The RBC Children’s Mental Health Project is a multi-year philanthropic commitment to support community-based and hospital programs that reduce stigma, provide early intervention and increase public awareness about children’s mental health issues. Since 2008, RBC has donated more than $16 million to over 200 community-based and hospital programs across Canada and is dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to trusted information and resources when they need it.
List of organizations we support